The flag displayed on the landing of the Library’s entrance hall is the Colour of the 70th Demi Brigade. It was captured from the French Army by the 8th (Armagh) Regiment of Militia at the Battle of Ballinamuck on 7 September 1798. It is the only foreign flag ever taken in Ireland by a Militia Regiment.
In the centre, surrounded by oak leaves, are the Axes and Rods (Fasces) of the Police Magistrates of the old Roman Republic. The French Republic adopted these as one of its symbols. Above the oak leaves is the ‘Bonnet Rouge’, the red cap, which was worn by all French Revolutionists of the time as a sign of Republicanism.